We encourage everyone to participate in our travel baseball discussions. Remember, mentioning travel baseball players in the bulletin boards is not permitted and neither is profanity. Please keep it positive. Realize that young baseball players can view these forums too. Please help us police the forums and use the "flag" button to report any travel baseball discussions not worthy of being posted to Admin. Please use the appropriate discussion categories. All posts are reviewed and approved by admin...expect a delay.

A question and my first post ever here

My son is an 11U 2020 player who just had a try out for a local travel team. He has been playing and training for baseball for over 5 yrs now.

My son was offered a spot in the starting rotation but the position wasn't mentioned until after the tryout was pretty much over. The coach asked us if he could be their catcher. The only problem with this is he has always trained to be an infielder or pitcher and has very little game time experience as a catcher. He has a strong arm and is quite fast on the bases. I'm not sure how to respond to this offer as a catcher? Can anyone here help us with this subject because I have no idea how to handle this. It seems to me the only reason the coach would offer us a catcher position is he doesn't already have one or all the other infield positions are spoken for. Looks like the team has three coaches sons on it.

Thank you

Comments

• It's good for players to learn and play multiple positions prior to 16u/17u. Have a discussion about it with the coach. Understand what he wants/sees and feel free to talk about what you want/see. Time at multiple positions when they are young is a good thing!